Sunday, September 30, 2012

‘My Big Fat American Election’


‘My Big Fat American Election’
October, 2012 Boom Chicago Amsterdam.




10 years ago, I started performing standup shows in Amsterdam with Pep Rosenfeld. As Rosenfeld & Shapiro, we’ve performed ‘Yankee Go Home,’ the 2004 election show ‘Mr. America Contest’ and in 2008 the election show ‘Bye Bye Bush.’



Now it’s time for ‘My Big Fat American Election.’ Never before has there been this much money in US politics. Never before has the media coverage been so much like a vapid American reality show. This year, we team up again with Michael Orton-Toliver and his Barack Obama imitation (to rival mine).

As Republicans, it’s not easy. Up against the first-ever black President, Republicans want to be seen as a party for more than just rich, white men. SO – they nominated the richest, whitest man imaginable. Mitt Romney. Much as I’d like to play Obama this year, I must admit I look more like Romney. He’s so white he makes Obama look black.

Does Barack Obama deserve another term in the White House? No! But he’ll get it anyway. Obama is like the boyfriend who means well, but just doesn’t listen. For your birthday, you tell him you want flowers & chocolate. And he’ll show up with Thai food & a Norah Jones CD. It’s very nice. It’s just not what you asked for.

America says: ‘I want a JOB.’
Obama: ‘I got you health care…’  
America: ‘What about a job?’
Obama: ‘I got you a Chevy Volt…’
America: ‘I just want a job.’
Obama: ‘I got you gays in the military, gay marriage, and a gay, pot-smoking Latino who won’t be deported because he has solar panels.’
America: (sigh) Never mind.

Don’t give up, America! Like most girlfriends tell themselves at one point: I can change him!

I hope he can change.

‘My Big Fat American Election’ runs throughout October, through election day November 6.
http://www.boomchicago.nl/my-big-fat-american-election/






No comments:

Post a Comment